Tuesday, January 20, 2009

POTD: President Obama's Inauguration

Rosa sat... so Martin could walk
Martin walked... so Obama could run
Obama ran... so my kids could FLY!


I've been watching this historic event unfold all day. I've never been into politics, I've never cared to learn, nor did I understand it. But I followed this election very closely. I asked a lot of questions. And I have learned a lot about the candidates, our country, and I learned how to make the best choice for me.

I voted for Obama. And I am overjoyed to be part of such a great day in history. I hear many people say, "I wish people would get passed the fact that he is an African American leader and just accept him as a leader." And even though I agree wholeheartedly that the color of someones skin doesn't determine if they will be a good leader or a bad leader... and that's exactly why I voted for him. But I do believe that it is necessary to put a lot of emphasis on that fact that he is our first African American President. That is something very monumental for this country. And for black people as well. Even though I feel extreme emotion and pride in electing a black man as president... imagine how other African American people are feeling today? Back in the day black people would be bought and sold as slaves. Slaves built the very same White House that the Obama family will live in for the next four years. Back then black men only counted as 3/5ths of a person. Back then black people couldn't eat in the same restaurants, drink from the same fountains, or sit in the same part of a bus as a white person. They have fought long and hard to become equals and I think Barack has shown so much courage. So I think he should be recognized as the first black man to become president... not because of his race... but because of his race he was able to knock down walls and barriers and change the future for all of America.

So as I lay in my room at 10am Phoenix time, and watched our new president be sworn into office, I couldn't help but take pictures of my tv and record his inaugural speech all while crying with happiness. The emotion I felt at that very moment was indescribable... all I can say is I was simply speechless, in awe, and very proud to e alive to see this.

5 comments:

janett said...

Isn't this a great time in our nation's history? I'm so very proud. :)

Angela2932 said...

What a day it was! I think you and I snapped our shots at the exact same moment! (Look at the photo on my blog :) ) I really like the little poem you included at the top of today's post.

Unknown said...

Memorable shots. I took mine right before we walked outside.

Michelle Duckworth said...

I actually have like 100 pictures that I took of my TV screen and a video of his inaugural speech... I was sitting there just snapping away with my point and shoot!

Chely said...

I wonder how many more of us took close shots?

Look at my Blog http://chelymelo.blogspot.com/
then open your picture and mine, side by side.

Your picture, Angela's and mine as sooo similar. There are "seconds" in between each.

LOL

Although our pictures may not be Photo Creative, the important part is that they were all taken by us at that precise moment in time.